Something rotten...

GM: Janie
Players: Cannonball, Serena
Synopsis: The genius loci of Ostara needs some help.
Date: August 16th 2070


Talking to the Hart

"Goodbye until next we meet, Bird-Woman!", Serena calls out to Janie, before turning to pay attention to what Cannonball's showing her on the little device. After a bit, after it's shown to her that China's so far away, she asks, "If the China place is so far away, how do people in this city get food from there so quickly and easily?"… then makes a little face. "Oh, there are people from China in the city and they make their food for the people here?", she adds, figuring it out for herself.

Cannonball sighs, "You really need some basic education…", she says. "China is a country in Asia. That's another continent. Hmmm…lemme show you.", she says then gets her pocket secretary from the side to show up a globe and starts to give Serena some basics on global geography. Including the position of China. She was almost considering this a welcome distraction from her usual stuff she did.

Cannonball's lecture is interrupted by a rustling noise coming from the forest, and a few moments later a majestic white Hart comes walking out from between the trees and toward the pair of elves in the pool.

~Child of the Forest, Child of the City,~ a voice resounds in their heads without bothering to go through their ears first. ~The Woods require your aid.~

Cannonball blinks to that voice, "Did you say something?", she asks Serena.

"I have learned basic things that I needed to know for the life I have had", Serena replies. "And it is because that place is so far from this place that I wondered at how one might get that food here, as the Bird-Woman mentioned … then I thought that people from there can come to here to cook the food for people here and it made sense", she adds, waving a hand as if in negation… then blinks and looks around. "<Father!>", she says in the Dryad language, getting to her feet to start to scramble out of the water. "No, it was not me! It was the Tree-Father", she says, quietly, to Cannonball. "We must answer His call!", she adds, as she hurriedly pulls on her clothing, which she'd removed for her dip in the hot springs.

Cannonball blinks, "We must answer a tree calling? Oh, damn…why do I have a bad feeling at that?", she asks softly. "And no…some of the chinese live here. So no need to transport the food here. They make it here…"

The rigger is much less quick at following this summons. If she wasn't curious, she'd probably stay away from this. As it is she slips into her personal armor and coveralls and then puts her pistol out. No need to get careless here. The last time she did, she was wounded and she didn't like that thought.

«Plot» Serena will, once dressed, want to cast Cleanse on herself, to clean off the water from the hot springs (and any dirt, leaves, etc that stuck because of the wetness) off herself, her clothing, and her belongings.
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Sorcery (Manipulation Spells) vs TN 4 for "casting Cleanse":
1 2 2 5 8 9 11 11 = 5 Successes
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Willpower + Sorcery Pool: 4 vs TN 2 for "2L drain resist":
1 2 3 3 4 5 5 5 10 13 = 9 Successes

The hart waits patiently while Serena dresses before continuing.

~I am bound to this Place, as all such Places have those of my kind to watch over them. I may not leave here, and while I will never meet the others, I can feel them… And one of them is suffering~. It snorts once. ~Men from the city came bearing a foulness which they poured into his lake, killing the fish, poisoning it, poisoning him. He lies wounded, diminished… And while he hides, his suffering is taking form of its own.~

«Plot» Janie says, "Feel free to make a Magic Background or Magical Threats roll to see if you can figure out what he's saying."

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Magic Background for "What this gibberish meaning?":
2 3
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Magical Threats:
4 9
You paged Cannonball with 'No clue. Maybe someone's been peeing in the lake and now the spirit is angry?'.

You paged Serena with 'Sounds like the guardian spirit of the area it's describing has been harmed by something, and while it's hiding to lick its wounds, the source of the damage is birthing a Toxic spirit which will likely attempt to consolidate its power and try to expand.'.

Cannonball sighs, "Sounds quite silly, this… Do you thnk I would be any use in this?", she asks

The Hart turns its head to regard Cannonball. ~The Child of the Wood does not know how to travel along the ways of Man,~ it replies. ~You do. Without your aid, she can never arrive before it is too late.~

Serena literally hisses at what she hears the spirit saying, then turns to Cannonball to say, "Tiara, if you don't wish to help, I won't blame you… but the spirits asked for your aid, as well as mine. Please… come with me. … a foul spirit is being born from the poisons put into the lake of one of the forest spirits. If the machines of the city-men are in the area, still, you'll know better how to deal with them!" That said, she turns back to the spirit that's been talking to them, continuing to speak the language that Cannonball can understand. "Guardian… will you show us the way we must go?", she asks of it.

Cannonball ponders that, "Oh, great…", she says towards Serena. "Do I understand this right, that time is off the essence?", she asks. "As if that thing is right I'd be needing to steal us a ride, I fear…Bully is still in pieces."

Serena nods to Cannonball, starting to ask, "Who is Bu…?", then shakes her head at the distracting thought. "Yes, we just hurry!", she says to her, then turns back to the spirit. "Can you tell us to where we must go so that the Shaman of Cars can take me there?"

The Hart nods, then paws at the ground with one hoof. Before the elves' eyes, the grass flattens itself in some places while growing in others, until the contours solidify into a recognizable map of the area, with a circle of small shoots indicating their current location, while a small patch of dying grass shows them where they need to go.

Serena looks at the map, seeming confused - she's not looked at many maps in her life, and such a view of the terrain is still very new to her. It'll clearly take her a little while, at least, to puzzle out what she sees.

Cannonball nods, checking that 'map' with her orientation systems data of the region. Just a rough local map from the official sources. But she will certainly find a way to navigate that.

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Intelligence vs TN 3 for "Finding my way around that map.":
3 4 4 5 5 8 10 11 = 8 Successes

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Intelligence for "Do I remember some bike or car around when I went up here? There is shurely a parking lot for visitors of the park.":
1 2 3 3 5 5 9 20
You paged Cannonball with 'Yes, there's a parking area near the entrance, and as this is well outside the Denver city area, parking security tends to be "At your own risk".'.

Serena, meanwhile, starts tracing a line of grasses here… then another there.. she's familiar with the area, and she's /starting/ to make sense of what she sees… but Cannonball's WAY ahead of her, of course. "is… is this where we are now?", she asks, indicating the little ring of growing shoots with a pointed finger.

Cannonball just nods as she ponders if she saw a suitable car at the parks parking lot. "Yes, that's where we are. I know how to get there and I guess I can get us some transport. I seem to remember a nice little White Eagle at the parking lot. What do you think would you mind riding the backseat of a bike?", she asks the dryad. "With that we should be able to get as close to the site as we need. Too bad that it most likely is not rigged…"

Serena nods up at Cannonball as she stands. "Yes! I have ridden on a bike before, with Smoke, when he showed me in the city! Let's go?", she adds, excitedly… though it's not at all a happy excitement, of course. Then, she turns to the Guardian Spirit, again, to say, "Blessed be, Guardian!", sticking out a hand, palm up, to the hart-shaped spirit, before lifting it to her chest, holding it over her heart for just a moment.

The Hart nods its head at Serena. ~Walk with Nature's blessing, Child of the Wood~

Getting a ride.

Cannonball grins and walk off towards the parking lot. She is glad she has her usual basic toolset with her all the times. (One never knows when it might come handy.) So arriving at the parking lot she firs has a look around to see if there is someone watching. Then, if the space is clear, she will try to get her catch.

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Intelligence for "Looking around at the parking lot.":
1 2 2 4 5 5 5 9

As they approach the parking lot, Cannonball can see that that pretty White Eagle off-roader she saw earlier is still there… But so is a rather large SUV with a family of five - mom, dad and three noisy kids - is standing around and unloading picnic baskets and apparel from. Possibly not the best time to blatantly hotwire a bike in plain sight…

Serena trots along after Cannonball, after parting ways with the Guardian Spirit. "Where is your car?", she asks of Cannonball, looking about. She isn't the 'steal a car' type, after all.

Cannonball frowns at the sight of that family there. She is not the best at sneakyness, but she tries to make her approach as discreet as it can be. With all the natural experience she has with vehicles she simply takes the bike and for now just rolls it a bit away. Hoping it was not locked up fully. In which chase she will try do her bad bad stealing without it being seens by the present people.

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Etiquette vs TN 6 for "Looking casual?":
1 3 5 = 0 Successes
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Etiquette vs TN 6 for "Looking casual? (KP:4/4) Damn queues…":
1 3 3 = 0 Successes
«Plot» Cannonball says, "Okay… looks like cannon does not look casual at all…"

Serena's 'looking natural', of course, consists of looking hurried as she follows after Cannonball - which totally spoils the rigger's attempts at not looking like she's making off with a bike that's not her own.

As Cannonball starts walking off and pushing that (damn heavy when not under power) bike down the road, suddenly she hears a very young voice asking "Whatcha doin'?" from just about belt height behind her.

Cannonball looks down on the kid and replies, "Need to get some fuel for my baby. I came here on the last drop and forgot I had not refilled…", Cannon tries to lie her way past. She is aware that the bike will give her away if someone checks, but the kid may not be knowing and from the sight the family's car is an electro drive, so not likely they'll have fuel with them.

"Your bike is out of fuel?!", Serena gasps out, hearing Cannonball's explanation. "We will never make it in time!", she adds, looking exasperated at the news a she quickens her steps to catch up. "Where can we get fuel, quickly?"

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Etiquette vs TN 3 for "Lying my way past":
2 7 11 = 2 Successes
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Janie (#4136) rolls 3 (Kid's intelligence) vs TN 8 for "Durn nosy kids…":
1 8 9 = 2 Successes

The kid looks from Cannonball to Serena, then back again. "Are you in a hurry? Dad always says that hurrying is something only stupid people who don't make plans good have to do. Where ya goin'?"

"We are hurrying to stop the bad spirit from growing big enough to kill the good spirit and hurt the forest!", Serena says to the child, quickly.

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Charisma (Defaulting from Etiquette:
2 3 3 5 5 8 17 20
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Janie (#4136) rolls 3 (Darn perceptive kids) vs TN 8 for "Umm…":
1 3 4 = 0 Successes

Cannonball blinks to Serena's explanation. "Ummm…as she says…", she says to the kid. "Not that we cannot manage this on our own. Guess your parents are done unloading. Shouldn't you be with them?", she then asks the kid.

The kid glares at Serena. "That's dumb. And you're dumb," he replies with all the moral certitude of an eight-year-old before turning around and walking back to the family car.

Serena stops, pouting… then turns to hurry after Cannonball again. "The child does not know how important this is!", she says up at Cannonball. "But we still can't /get/ there, with your bike lacking fuel?", she adds.

Cannonball rolls her eyes as she drags the bike out of sight to short circuit the damn thing. "Serena. The bike /has/ fuel. It's just not mine and I need to do the unlawful act of stealing it to help your sprit friend. So, if you would have an eye out while I do this?", she then asks of the dryad.

Serena, surprised at learning that Cannonball's about to steal the bike, furrows her eyebrows together… then looks about. "What do I look out for?", she wonders, aloud.

Cannonball grumbles, "Any metahuman comming close?", she asks as she drags out her tools.

"… Metahuman?… you mean people?", Serena questions as she starts looking for approaching people, specifically.

Cannonball nods, "Yes, people…", she says.

«Plot» Cannonball says, "What do I need to roll?"
«Plot» Serena watches, as stated in pose, for approaching people. :)
«Plot» Janie says, "Bike B/R, TN… Let's say 4 to figure out how get at the ignition, then electronics B/R 4 to bypass the alarm."
«Plot» Cannonball says, "Can I use Task pool for that?"
«Plot» Janie says, "Yes."

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Bike B/R + Task Pool: 1 vs TN 4 for "Whow's this bike working in matters of starting?":
1 2 3 4 5 9 = 3 Successes

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Electronics B/R + Task Pool: 1 vs TN 4 for "Hotwiring a bike.":
2 4 11 = 2 Successes

«Plot» Janie says, "It's a fairly straightforward model. Decent make, and its designers know the value of the KISS principle. It takes you twenty seconds to figure out how to hotwire it… And thirty more to bypass the alarm while doing so."

Cannonball then drives off towards their destinaton. She tries to be quick, but mostly follows the traffic rules. She too has a quick look at their resources, mainly the afore mentioned fuel. After all no one know what fool drove this bike before. If there is a need, she'll make a quick stop at the next gas station. Her backpack placed so the manipulated ignition is not visible.

«Plot» Janie says, "Okay, Cannon: Gimme a Smuggler Routes roll or similar roll, unless you're planning to drive through a border checkpoint on a stolen bike."

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Smuggler Routes for "Not taking official ways here.":
1 2 2 4

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) spends 50 nuyen for "Paying for gas with SIN (UTE-00863-000WF4-0008GN-ATA Naomi Red Lighting)".

Cannonball will refill the gas and then pays her bills using her Ute SIN. It's simply better in these parts to use a local SIN. After that she drives out tof Twin Forks and towards the Bennet area. The bike, now well supplied offering an as smooth ride as can be expected taking wood path's and other inofficial routes. Cannon is for shure glad she kept herself updated on the currently safe smuggling routes.

Hanging on 'for dear life' through the ride, Serena asks, more than once, "… are we there, yet?"

The site.

It's actually very obvious when they're approaching their destination; starting at about three miles out, Serena can feel a subtle… wrongness permeating the air, like the smell of rotting, diseased wood.

Serena's next 'are we there yet?' instead comes out as a worried-sounding, "We're… almost there!", followed by a whiny sounding, "… I can feel it…"

«Plot» Serena is now at -2 dice for casting/conjuration, for the presence of corruption! :(

A mile and a half further Cannonball starts to see what Serena meant. There is a fog hanging around that resembles some of the nastier smog patches she's ever driven through, except smelling significantly worse. It's not /quite/ enough to impair vision yet, but the sheer silence where one would expect the natural sounds of the forest are unnerving even to her…

Cannonball frowns, "Damn…I have seen cities at full smog times with less of eerieness… What do you mean by that evil spirit thingy anyway…", she asks. "I hope it's not something really nasty we're going to run into here…", she says quite a bit worried by the scenery she encounters the further they go to wards their destination. "We're damn close now…but if this smog gets worse we'll need respirators soon…"

Serena says, "Stop here", to Cannonball… "We'll be safer going by foot, I think", she adds, waiting for her friend to stop the bike before hopping off of it.

Cannonball will drive the bike to the side at an more hidden location. "Okay.", she says. "Here we are…", then the bike is stationary.

It's unlikely that the bike will be stolen a second time today; for one thing, there's an atmosphere of "let's be anywhere else" that pervades the entire area that will likely dissuade any casual visitors to the area…

Serena pulls out one of her fetishes, the one for manipulation spells, then asks, "Which way is to the lake from here?" of the rigger, being as she has the map in her head.

Serena looks about for a moment, then says, "Nevermind… it /must/ be this way", as she starts off in the direction that makes her feel the most nauseous.

The discomfort and nausea get steadily worse as Serena leads the pair toward the lake. How bad it is becomes quickly obvious; between the sickly sheen on the water, the stench of rotting fish and the dead grass along the edges, it's obvious that something awful has been done here…

Serena shifts her gaze to the astral, to see if she can spot the toxic spirit in the area before she does anything else, looking out over the water - as that's where the spirit would most likely be, as it probably formed of the stuff dumped into the water.

«Plot» Janie says, "BGcount is 2 here — pretty nasty, but it hasn't had time to get /really/ bad yet."
«Plot» Janie says, "Roll astral perception."

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Intelligence vs TN 6 for "Astral Perception":
1 3 5 10 = 1 Success

On the Astral it's actually worse — a stench of death and corruption pervades the entire area, but seems to emanate from somewhere beneath the lake surface.

Serena almost retches at what she senses on the astral. Coming to a stop where she is, she tries to draw the thing out… but first says, "It is under the water, somewhere… be ready. I am going to try and make it come to us", for Cannonball's sake. That done, she lifts her fetish and focuses her will to cast a spell…

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Sorcery (Manipulation Spells) - 2 (presence of corruption) vs TN 7 for "casting Clean Water - TN 6 + 2 (bg count) - 1 (fetish casting) = TN 7":
2 3 3 4 5 8 = 1 Success
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Willpower + Sorcery Pool: 4 vs TN 3 for "3S drain resist":
1 1 2 2 2 4 4 8 9 13 = 5 Successes
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Willpower + Sorcery Pool: 4 - 5 (previous succs) vs TN 3 for "3S drain resist - KP 1/3 for reroll":
3 3 3 5 8 = 5 Successes

As Serena works her magic, ripples start forming on the surface of the lake, and the oily sheen begins to subside. It doesn't look particularly safe to drink yet, but it /is/ starting to look better…

Cannonball looks around, seeing the water getting better. "Will that help?", she asks curiously. Still wary of the dismal surrounding.

«Plot» Serena says, "Do I see anything on the astral?"
«Plot» Janie says, "Not yet. You may want to do that again to try to catch its attention."
«Plot» Serena casts that spell again.
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Sorcery (Manipulation Spells) - 2 (presence of corruption) vs TN 7 for "casting Clean Water - TN 6 + 2 (bg count) - 1 (fetish casting) = TN 7":
2 2 5 7 10 11 = 3 Successes

Seeing nothing much happen with the first casting of her spell, Serena grits her teeth and puts more of her will into casting it a second time…

"It will… make the bad spirit angry", Serena says, narrowing her eyes as she watches the water. "Be ready for it to come at us."

Cannonball blinks, "Ummm…okay…", she says. Then you hear her mutter, "I knew it was a silly idea to come here… I'm too damn nice and magic is truly crap. Luring some evil thing here…", she seems quite a bit agitated but more towards herself than Serena really. Maybe frightened of her own courage?

The Showdown.

And that seems to do it; a patch of clear looking water appears in the center of the lake, growing rapidly in all directions as the toxic slick evaporates. Suddenly, the surface starts churning and Serena can feel… /something/… stirring awake and heading for the surface. It's not nice, and it's very definitely Not Happy…

"It comes!", Serena says, putting her emtpy hand onto the top of the head of the teddy bear she has at her belt… and moving to get between Cannonball and the lake - the little one moving to protect the big one, of all the irony.

«Plot» Serena says, "if this is an appropriate time, i'd like to have a Conjuring(Banishment) action ready to go…?"
«Plot» Serena says, "maybe get the drop on it as it hits the surface?"
«Plot» Janie nods.

"I do not know if you can. Perhaps your weapon can harm it… perhaps not. Your best defense against it is how strong your spirit is, not the strength of your body", Serena says, putting her fetish away… and lifting the teddy bear from its 'seat' at her belt to hug against her chest, holding it with both hands.

Cannonball nods, "Great, I'm a weakling physically…not shure how much I am worth in my 'spirit' I've fucking never had a measure for that…", she says. Her talking with curses like this showing her internal turmoil better than many other things. "I'll try my best…", she then says.

… And at that, the lake erupts as an enormous fish-like being breaks the surface with a roar of rage. Even from this distance, it looks awful: along vast patches of its sides the scales have flaked away, and where its exposed flesh isn't diseased it has rotted away until the bones underneath are clearly visible, and where the exposed patches touch the watter, it hisses and smokes.

It turns its half-skeletal face towards Serena, recognizing her as the cause of the lake's sudden change in status.

«Plot» Janie says, "Serena, you already declared a delay action, so you get to go first."
«Plot» Serena says, "hrm… would casting Clean Water on the spirit itself actually hurt it any, i wonder? would i know of this, ICly?"
«Plot» Serena says, "anyway… i think i'll try and Banish on it with this delayed action, using Conjuring(Banishment) skill…"
«Plot» Serena takes it that this is also -2 dice for presence of corruption?
«Plot» Janie nods. And +2 on the TN because of the BGcount.
«Plot» Serena says, "do i get a TN, or just roll as if Open?"
«Plot» Janie says, "Also, roll Magic Background or magical threats to see if you know/can guess the answer to that question"
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Magical Threats:
1 11
«Plot» Janie says, "You suspect not."

«Plot» Janie says, "Okay, banishment. It's "only" a Force 2 Toxic spirit so far, but that BGcount ramps up your TN to 4."
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Conjuring (Banishing) - 2 (presence of corruption) vs TN 4 for "trying to Banish the toxic spirit of the lake":
1 2 2 3 3 5 = 1 Success
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Conjuring (Banishing) - 2 (presence of corruption) - 1 (prev succ) vs TN 4 for "trying to Banish the toxic spirit of the lake - KP 2/4":
1 1 3 3 5 = 1 Success
«Plot» Janie says, "It also has one point of Potency, so it gets to roll 3 dice against your Magic rating to counter."
«Plot» Serena stands on two succs, and that was a typo… 2/3 KP not 2/4
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Janie (#4136) rolls 2 (Spirit's Force) + 1 (Potency) vs TN 4 for "This spirit /likes/ the background count. It's cosy.":
1 3 4 = 1 Success
«Plot» Janie says, "Serena has one net success; spirit's Force reduced to 1, and she gets to decide whether to continue the contest or not. Neither she nor the spirit can do anything but engage in the contest until the winner of a given round calls it off."
«Plot» Serena will continue the contest, of course.

Serena lifts and holds her teddy bear into the air over her head as the spirit shows itself, calling out, "Tibbers! Muerdelo!" (in spanish. translation: "Tibbers! Bite it!")… and a glow emanates from her /and/ the bear she holds, then spills forward and outward, so that a four-foot tall caricature of the teddy bear in her hands forms and rushes at the toxic spirit, roaring a silent roar as it chomps down on the fish-thing!

The spirit hisses in pain and rage, struggling in the coils of Serena's Power, unable to break free and wreak vengeance on the one that's tearing at its very being…

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Initiative with a result of 10.
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Initiative with a result of 13.

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Strength + Combat Pool: 2 vs TN 8 for "Base TN: 4 +4 for defaulting.":
1 4 4 5 = 0 Successes

Cannonball drags up a branch and slaps it as hard as she (weak as she is) against the thing. She could have hit a wall as well… Not the slightest effect, aside from the branch breaking apart. "I know why I drive cars and to not meddle with this kind of hassle…", she mutters.

«Plot» Serena will attempt Banishing again.
«Plot» Serena says, "tn is 3, now, yes?"
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Conjuring (Banishing) - 2 (presence of corruption) vs TN 3 for "trying to Banish the toxic spirit of the lake":
1 1 1 1 3 9 = 2 Successes
«Plot» Serena will go ahead and kp that, as well. my last KP!
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Conjuring (Banishing) - 2 (presence of corruption) - 2 (prev succs) vs TN 3 for "trying to Banish the toxic spirit of the lake (last KP!)":
3 3 4 7 = 4 Successes
«Plot» Janie nods. Not even going to bother rolling. Pose dissipating it, then see about what else you can do to help restore the place.

Serena stands still, her arms holding her teddy bear over her head. Her hair, however, flaresout and up.. and takes on a green tint, her skin darkening, wrinkling… until, at a glance, one might see a tree in the shape and colors that have come over her as she channels so much magic into her attempt to banish the toxic spirit. The glowing bear-form of her will, Tibbers, shakes its head… and the toxic spirit is torn to pieces in its jaws. Tibbers then turns into that glowing light and 'flows' back into Serena and her toy as her hair lowers and her skin goes back to normal, the teddy bear being lowered back into its seat at her belt. "Muy bien, Tibbers!", she says, caressing the teddy bear's head. "Muy bien!"

«Plot» Serena says, "okay… now… i guess it's just repeated castings of Clean Water until the lake water's clean… then Clean Earth, if the surrounding soil needs it, until /that/ is clean…?"

«Plot» Janie says, "Sounds about right."

"The spirit is gone", Serena says to Cannonball, pulling out her little fetish once again. "Now I need to clean the area of the badness that made the spirit come", she adds.

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Sorcery (Manipulation Spells) - 2 (presence of corruption) vs TN 7 for "casting Clean Earth":
3 5 5 8 11 13 = 3 Successes
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Willpower + Sorcery Pool: 4 vs TN 3 for "3S drain resist":
1 1 1 3 3 4 5 9 11 17 = 7 Successes
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Sorcery (Manipulation Spells) - 2 (presence of corruption) vs TN 7 for "casting Clean Earth":
1 1 2 4 4 4 = 0 Successes
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Willpower + Sorcery Pool: 4 vs TN 3 for "3S drain resist":
2 2 2 3 3 3 4 7 7 10 = 7 Successes
«Plot» Serena says, "any change in BG count yet, for the lake being clean?"
«Plot» Janie says, "It's down to 1, but that's not going to help you much."

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Sorcery (Manipulation Spells) - 2 (presence of corruption) vs TN 7 for "casting Clean Earth":
2 2 2 2 5 5 = 0 Successes
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Willpower + Sorcery Pool: 4 vs TN 3 for "3S drain resist":
1 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 8 9 = 5 Successes
«Plot» Serena says, "ugh. L stun!"
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Sorcery (Manipulation Spells) - 2 (presence of corruption) vs TN 8 for "casting Clean Earth":
1 2 3 5 5 10 = 1 Success
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Serena (#10471) rolls Willpower + Sorcery Pool: 4 vs TN 3 for "3S drain resist":
1 1 2 3 3 3 5 9 13 13 = 7 Successes

Serena breaks a sweat for real, after a little while. Sitting down, cross-legged, she keeps trying, lifting her fetish, in both hands, up over her head as she focuses on purifying the soil of the area.

Cannonball nods, "I'll have a look around…", she says. And does as she walks around the lake looking, gun in hand for any polluters or sources of pollution.

«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Intelligence for "Having a looka round for pollution sources.":
2 3 4 5 5 5 7 8
You paged Cannonball with 'You spot fairly recent looking tire tracks at one edge of the lake. Looks like about the right size for a pick-up truck and deep enough to have been heavily loaded… And the tracks leading away are significantly less deep.'.

Cannonball pages: These tracks look like regular use or just a one time incident?
You paged Cannonball with 'They're just about the /only/ vehicle tracks you can see.'.

Cannonball finally stumbles over a set of tracks at the muddy lake shore. She examines them, then calls over to Serena. "It seems someone carted the pollutant here. I'll make a photo shot of the profile with my pocksec and then I'll try to see if I can find out where that vehicle came from. We want to spoil their wish to repeat this, won't we?"

«Plot» Cannonball says, "Okay. I'll assume Cannon can make a phot with her pocsec and then she'll try to track those wheel tracks."
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Intelligence for "Tracking the tracks of an heavy van or pickup.":
1 2 2 3 4 4 5 9

The tracks are fairly easy to follow, right up until they lead to the road.

Serena nods to Cannonball's news and gets up to follow her as she trails the dump vehicle to the road. "The spirit is gone, and the water and soil are clean… I should try to find the guardian spirit of this place, before we go… to be sure that it, too, is recovering", she says to Cannonball, turning to head back to the lake's shore.

«Plot» Cannonball says, "Back to the bike, and after this thing ran through the dirt I should have an idea to fing out which direction it left to. I'll just make a shot into the blind and try to find a van/pickup that might fit our profile. If we are lucky we might even find one with still dirty tires. I'll leave serena at the lake as a guard."

«Plot» Janie says, "The tracks aren't /that/ fresh, mind."
«Plot» Cannonball says, "I figured. As I said, just a shot into the blind."
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Intelligence for "Finding any vehicle that might match our data. Yes, I know this is hoping for quite a chance.":
2 2 3 3 4 8 8 10

«Plot» Janie says, "Nada."
«Plot» Serena can ICly report the clearly illegal dumping to the local authorities… and let them try and investigate or put up a guard or something, too.

You paged Serena with 'If it's withdrawn to heal, it probably won't manifest for at least a month.'.

Serena stops in her tracks, tilting her head in thought - then just sits down to wait for Cannonball to return. "No… I will not find the spirit, if it hides to heal. We are finished here, I think. I should return to my home-trees, to see if the spirit there has more to say of this", she says when her friend returns on the bike, getting to her feet to mount up for the ride home.

Cannonball was headed out, leaving Serena at the lake for dealing with whatever might be left there or even the polluters should they return. She does a blind shot to look for any suitable vehicles in the closeby areas, but coming up without any hits, she finally returns. "Okay…this was a miss. I havent found a trace of our polluters. I have a track photo, but that's not really telling us much. We can either stand watch here, but from the looks this was an isolated thing."

"Or… if there is a town nearby, we can stop and I will make a report to the police-men and let them know what happened", Serena suggests. "Maybe they will be able to keep this from happening, again."

Cannonball nods, "Okay…", she says. "Sit down beside me. This ride will get more comfortable as we have no hurry."

«Plot» Janie says, "Cannon, int roll?"
«Auto-Judge[1477]» Cannonball (#863) rolls Intelligence for "Whoot!? Now?":
1 2 3 3 3 4 5 5
You paged Cannonball with 'It strikes you that you've been away for a few hours now, and that that bike's owner has /had/ to return to the parking lot at some point, and that therefore this might not be a good time to show up at a police station with a bicycle that's been obviously tampered with…'.

Cannonball nods to Serena. "I'll get you close to a police station … at least relatively. And then I'll go out to hide this bike in a stash so I can refurbish it for better use later. I'd prefer not to get caught with it freshly hotwired, you know… And the previous owner is going to be supposed to have reported it missing by now."

Serena nods. "I will hire a taxi to take me back to my trees", she says to Cannonball.

—- LOG END

[[category:log]]

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License