log:Astrid's Shadowrun Descent Pt.1

GM: Ecco
Players: Astrid.
Synopsis: Natasha Ravenheart's daughter has been captured by an unidentified criminal element. They have told her not to bring in any law enforcement, but to pay up or else her daughter will die. Natasha turned to the only coven member who was close, Astrid, for help in this situation, she doesn't mind paying but she needs to make sure her daughter is alright first.
Date: July 14th, 2079


Natasha Ravenheart has contacted Astrid and there's a bit of a hesitation, or panic in her voice. She doesn't sound like normal, and she needs Astrid to come down to her shop as soon as she can, the sooner the better. Over the call she's unwilling to give any specific details just that there's something she needs help with.

Upon arriving to the shop, it's closed, but with a quick knock or ping on your phone, Natasha will come to the door, unlock it and open up the door. She takes a look around outside, past you before she letting you in, and immediately upon shutting the door will lock it.

Her face looks worn, old even, though she's already in her late 50s, she's really showing it right now. Like she hasn't slept in a few days or just the last day has been that stressful.

Astrid had of course followed Natashas request to come. Naive as she was she trusted the old woman that had helped her with a place to stay during her first time in Denver. She certainly was surprised to see her so … bothered. "Natasha? You look awful … Has something happened?", she asks the old woman softly as she is let in.

"I was not sure who to call. You, are the closest coven member, and I am in need of help." Natasha keeps moving through the shop and toward the back where she is making some kind of concoction she otherwise calls tea. She is stirring it a bit, before looking over her shoulder to Astrid, "Please, will you help me? It is … my daughter. She is gone, taken, and her captors want a fee, but no law enforcement. I just need to know she is okay before I pay, they would not let me speak to her. Do you know who could help me?"

Astrid tilts her head, "Oh, Natasha that's terrible. I do not know… usually I would ask Hans to help me with something as that, but … he seems busy right now. How soon do you need to know things?", she then asks the old witch. "I am just new in town, you know that…"

"I know." And Natasha mentions, "I was able to narrow it down to one of these three buildings. It is just on the other side of a checkpoint. I am too old to go and check in on her. Some kind of squatter apartments. I need to know soon, they are only giving me three days to come up with the money." And Natasha swallows a bit before saying, "I just need to make sure she is okay, that they will not run with the money. Can, can you help me? It would be quick, just… look for her and if you find her, let me knwo? Then I can go and meet their demands."

Astrid ponders, "Well … I am not sure. I /could/ do that. I mean I can go invisible and all, but … Why not try to rescue her? I mean … if you pay those criminals today they will be back tomorrow, yes? Isn't that what they say? The police, the corps … And it makes sense."

There's a shake of her head, "I cannot rescue her, I am older now. I just want this over, pay the money. I have money." Offers Natasha and then she looks over at Astrid, "But you are right. If, you were to find her and rescue her? Perhaps then? I would just pay you. Like a bounty hunter, or something similar?" And her questioning tone lingers before she shakes her head, "No, that would just put you in danger. Find her first, if you can do that, then maybe you can help me find a few people who would rescue her. But, if these criminals catch wind of anyone snooping about. I'm afraid they will kill my Annabelle."

Astrid nods, "Hmmm… Do they know they might face mages? What do you think?", she then wonders. She sighs, "Not sure if I can pull it off, but if things go right… maybe I can save her."
Ecco sighs out and nods her head a little bit, "They know enough. I attempted to find her through the astral plane, but they have her aura protected, or it is being masked. They may be keeping her in a place with such background activity that it is just hard to locate her. I sent a spirit to find her, and it would get close but unable to know for sure." And she smiles weakly, "Thank you child. I was able to get close enough to feel her trail but it was at these buildings…" She pulls up a piece of paper with some addresses on them, "Where it stopped."

Natasha sighs out and nods her head a little bit, "They know enough. I attempted to find her through the astral plane, but they have her aura protected, or it is being masked. They may be keeping her in a place with such background activity that it is just hard to locate her. I sent a spirit to find her, and it would get close but unable to know for sure." And she smiles weakly, "Thank you child. I was able to get close enough to feel her trail but it was at these buildings…" She pulls up a piece of paper with some addresses on them, "Where it stopped."

Astrid nods, "Well … Let's see how far I can get, then.", she says. "Annabelle was her name, yes?", she then asks. "Well, I will move out now. Do you have a back door or something in here? I would cloak myself and move out. From there."

"Yes, yes. The back exit goes into an alleyway where the trash is collected." And Natasha makes movements to show Astrid the directions in the small shop. There's a few turns, a back room where enchanting work is done, and then she offers a door. "Be safe, sister. Do not take any unnecessary risks, for your sake as well as Annabelle's." And she lets you leave.

«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls Sorcery + Spell Pool: 6 vs TN 4 for "Casting improved invisibility before leaving Rating 6":
2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 5 7 = 4 Successes

«Auto-Judge[]» Ecco (#9258) rolls 4 vs TN 6 for "Is someone watching?":
1 2 4 9 = 1 Success

«OOC» Ecco says, "You're good to proceed."

«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls Willpower + 2 (totem bonus snake) vs TN 4 for "Drain vs (6/2)+1 = 4M":
2 2 2 4 4 4 5 11 = 5 Successes
«Plot» Astrid says, "Soaked."

Astrid fades from view on the mundane plane before she leaves the talis shop of Natasha. After that she has to take a look on a map to consider her next moves. Trying to discern where she might find the kidnapped girl. She bites her lip, as the temptation to go and call the police is strong.

The addresses are all in close proximity to one another. Which makes sense, she probably followed whatever astral signature was left behind for her daughter to the point where it was cleaned up and then it vanished. The spirits she sent came to a similar conclusion, so it was impossible to discern. The one trick is that all three addresses are inside of the warrens. There is a lot less concern by the police to avoid collateral damage there, and on top of that, it's also a more dangerous place to be on your own. At least the checkpoint won't be an issue for Astrid, seeing as she's a SINner.

Astrid sighs as she looks at the map. The Warrens. She had heard about that place, but so far never been there. She wondered what to do now. That was supposed to be one of those areas where the criminals reigned suppreme. But a life might be at stake. Damn you Snake to kick her into such a kind of situation. In the end it was merely a hesitation. She went on and would be trying to do her best. It might be interesting to see if she could bypass the guards at that checkpoint invisibly. At worst she could show her SIN after all.

«OOC» Ecco says, "You want to try and slip past the security?"
«OOC» Astrid says, "Yeah. ;) She does not want to risk being seen by some watchers the kidnappers might have in place."
«OOC» Ecco says, "Stealth, or Smugglers Routes are the two main skills. If you have another skill you think would be useful (other than relying specifically on your magic) let me know."
«OOC» Ecco says, "You can default to stealth as well, which is -4 I believe to your check."
«OOC» Astrid says, "No, she is doing something silly here. I know. ;)"
«Auto-Judge[]» Ecco (#9258) rolls 10 vs TN 6 for "Against invis. There are quite a few guards though the mages aren't looking at the main gate. It's not every day someone tries to sneak through the main entrance.":
1 1 1 1 2 2 3 4 10 10 = 2 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Ecco (#9258) rolls 10 for "Against stealth.":
1 1 1 1 1 4 4 4 5 23
«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls Quickness for "Now trying to not hit something or someone.":
1 1 3 9

During the middle of the day, Astrid is attempting to just walk through the checkpoint gates. The guards on duty aren't specifically looking for someone who's invisible. They are checking cars mostly, they are checking people going through the walk through checkpoints, etc. Except, in this case, Astrid doesn't set off any MAD detectors, she's invisible, and none of the guards see her. When she passes by someone though he turns to say, "Did you need some-" A pause in the middle of his question. Another guard turns to him, "Bob, you seeing things?" And he kind of shakes his head a bit, "No, I just thought I saw someone out of the corner of my eye. Guess I really do need that break. Back in 5." And he heads off in the opposite direction of Astrid. She's made it through successfully -this time-.

Astrid was surprised as to the rush of adrenaline that sent through her. She breathed a sigh of relief as she was finally out of earshot and was heading towards the suspect buildings. Now taking her time and looking out more closely. It was, after all, possible that she might be facing a mage on the side of the kidnappers. And she was not yet strong enough in her magic to be initiated to masking her aura into something less obvious. Also … not a fill mage. Other mages might have much more options than she had.

«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls Intelligence for "Looking out!":
2 3 5 5 5 11

The checkpoint disappears in the distance, and the buildings are a few blocks away. The place is dirty. Stepping across the barrier makes everything feel kind of sickly. People are in what might be considered 'rags' for Astrid, they are eating at places that smell like oil instead of grease even, and vehicles parked are just as likely to be with broken windows as missing tires but the streets only have a few people traveling on them in actual vehicles. The further in she goes, the more that slows.

Arriving a few kilometers later to the buildings in question they are, as described, not so great. Rundown apartment buildings, or at least at one point. One of them looks fine on the side facing the street but an abnormal amount of noise is coming from the other side. With a quick peak over, there's a network of ladders and make shift boards put together to allow people to go up and down the 3 story building but it's mostly hollowed out. From the ground it's easy to see there'd be no place to keep a child let alone a presumably grown woman.

The second building is definitely more intact and there's some people coming in and out of the building. Some of them look like they belong downtown, and may even be headed that way for their job that doesn't pay them enough to live downtown. And the third building, though, that one sticks out because there are two guys sort of hanging out outside. Each one has a corner, and they seem to look over at one another and give little nods, before going back to looking around. They look pretty beefy, and there's an entrance to the building in between them.

«Auto-Judge[]» Ecco (#9258) rolls 5 vs TN 6 for "Another check for Invis.":
3 4 4 4 5 = 0 Successes
«OOC» Ecco says, "If you decide to approach any closer, I'll also want a Stealth check."
«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls Quickness for "Stealth is required little dice, be nice.":
4 4 5 5
«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls Quickness for "Stealth is required little dice, be nice.(KP:1)":
1 3 3 5
«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls Quickness for "Stealth is required little dice, be nice.(KP:3)":
2 3 5 9
«Plot» Astrid says, "Well … stand, as she has not enough KP anymore."
«Auto-Judge[]» Ecco (#9258) rolls 5 vs TN 5 for "Other senses than sight.":
1 2 4 4 5 = 1 Success
«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) has the Pool Karma with the value '4'.

Astrid slowly sneaks closer. At least she hopes what she does is sneaking. Sure it is a little bit more silent than her average walking around, but … well, not by too much. She tries to bypass the huge brutes, but well … try is the imperative word.

One of the guards isn't aware of a damn thing. But another one of the guards is radio-ing out, "I think we have something skalking about." And clearly they've never heard of Subvocal Mics, but perhaps that is a good thing. They aren't professional runners or security, just thugs. The guy starts to move from his corner, turning his head this way and that way to see if he can really discern what's going on. This world isn't unfamiliar with magic, and they'd already been made well aware they may get a mage coming after them. Though still it's unclear if there's a person, a cat, what, "No, do not come out. Stay with the girl."

Astrid smiles softly and moves after the noise of the man who was asked to stay in place, hoping to avoid the guys after her.

The other guard isn't guarding anyone. The radio was probably to someone inside of the building. Who knows, though, it's radio. But as Astrid begins to move. The guard who had the radio voice shouts out, "Hey! Keep a look out Tee." And the guy snorts a little and grunts, looking back over, "What?! There's no one here." And he clearly hasn't seen or noticed Astrid yet.

«OOC» Ecco says, "Make another stealth check if you are getting closer to either guard, or going to attempt to enter the building. Entering the buidling is likely the harder of the two choices but would get you inside."
«OOC» Ecco says, "If you are doing something else, I'll have you roll appropriately if needed. :)"
«OOC» Astrid says, "Hmmm… bg is?"
«OOC» Ecco says, "2."
«Plot» Astrid says, "Conjuring city spirit"

«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls Conjuring vs TN 5 for "Conjuring city spirit Rtg 5":
3 7 = 1 Success
«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls Charisma + 2 (totem mod) vs TN 5 for "5M stun drain":
1 1 2 3 3 5 5 5 = 3 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls Charisma + 2 (totem mod) - 3 (success) vs TN 5 for "5M stun drain (KP:4)":
1 2 2 4 7 = 1 Success
«Plot» Astrid says, "No drain, all KP used up and a spirit with one service to be ordered around."
«Plot» Astrid says, "Hmmm… she will command the spirit to use it's fear power."

Astrid stands still and instead starts a mental plea to her spiritual friends. Asking for help and assistance in this situation. She needs to get rid of those guards, so as the hoped for spiritual presence manifests beside her it get the order to scare the guards away from their post.

«Auto-Judge[]» Ecco (#9258) rolls 3 vs TN 5 for "Willpower check of Guard 1.":
2 2 4 = 0 Successes
«Auto-Judge[]» Ecco (#9258) rolls 3 vs TN 5 for "Willpower check of Guard 2.":
1 1 5 = 1 Success
«Auto-Judge[]» Astrid (#13390) rolls 5 (spirit essence) vs TN 3 for "Booo!":
1 2 3 3 5 = 3 Successes

The guards, for their worth, are at least trying to do their job. Thugs that some kidnapper can hire might not be the best in a huge gun fight or sticking around when big giant intimidating people show up. But, when the entire ground seems like it is rising up from the earth, forming into a nightmarish demon thing, the guard who was willing to investigate just turns and starts running.

"Shitshitshitshitshit!" And the other guard drops the cigarette he was going to light, and turns, bumping into some squatters, tripping over them, scrambling to his feet, and moving away. They won't be running forever, but right now they are freaking the hell out.

Astrid grins a bit and moves into the building through a nicely abandoned door. She still tries to move silently, could be more enemies around after all…

*End of Part 1*

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License